to say that the last few weeks have been a bit hectic would be a slight understatement.
After the drama and sheer exhaustion of the last second changes leading up to my graduation show, then came the brief respite while I was minding the show where I could take a breath & feel almost human again. But, following that was the psychosis of bumping out & sorting out all the equipment/walls/pics/etc. This took much longer than I thought and it is only now that I feel I am getting on top of it and can start thinking realistically about the next body of work.
Don’t blink yet! The reports from the examiners just came in, and they are very favorable (YIPPEE!!), although some minor corrections are needed in the thesis – so time to switch back into writing mode (grr).
As all this blogging is about chronicling the journey of an ’emerging sculptor’, it would be remiss of me to not do a proper evaluation of the show.
– fulfillment of premise (examination/assessment for MFA candidature): huge success
– organization of show: given the extreme nature of the immediate run in, I pulled off a whole new curation & installation with the help of some good friends got it in on time
– public exposure: poor to very poor. with the venue being changed from what was previously advertised in a high foot traffic area to a out of the way spot made this one a no-win situation, therefore zip exposure 🙁
– support from friends: sorry to say this was disappointing, aside from a small few the lack of numbers from my substantial contacts in COFA and the sporting world was very disheartening. Especially those in positions of authority who promised their attendance (O well, can’t control what others do). I can’t dwell on this – just do the best I can do & see how it falls together.
– sales: surprisingly good given the above negative points. It helped recoup some of the cast.
costing: this was never going to be a cheap exercise, but I minimized costs as much as practical and am very grateful to the help I received.
– closing function: brilliant – I defy anyone to come up with an event like that on the shoestring I had. The fireworks were spectacular, and then the after effects of the projections and fire cutting through the smoke was spectacular.
After this, there as people I must thank:
? next? … there is lots to come that is already in motion … but that is for another blogging!